Sunday, September 11, 2011

"In A Heartfelt Manner"

It was one of those Centennial State Saturdays, weather-wise, making you shout, “God I love living here.”

In fact, it was the day before our nation observed 9/11 a decade later. A day, like Pearl Harbor and others, that will live in infamy, defined as “notoriety caused by great evil.” Amen to that. That’s what occupying my thoughts while pulling into Target to fetch energy drinks for freshman daughter’s volleyball team and its day-long tournament. Then, for whatever reason, thoughts shifted to a wonderful friend who just lost his mother.

Singer Jackie DeShannon’s “What the World Needs Now is Love, Sweet Love” bellowed from the car’s stereo system as I parked, turned the music down and placed a call: “Hey buddy,” I offered into voicemail, “I hear your mom passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with you.” The dear friend on the receiving end of this message is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever met. We’ve known each other a long-time. I would trust him with my life. He had great role models in his parents. One of them is now gone.

“I guarantee you buddy, wherever your mom is today she is looking down on you and saying, keep up the good work as a father, husband and friend.” After a few more comments about how much I admired his mother and, him, the father of two growing boys, the call ended with “I love you buddy.”

Later in the day after the daughter’s volleyball marathon was complete, I’m back in the car fetching delicious barbecue in route to darling girlfriend’s home for a mellow evening. Donovan’s “Catch the Wind” is now the music of choice and a college buddy, in challenging times, the call of choice. As expected, considering he’s gone into a self-imposed submarine, there is no answer. I leave a message: “You can avoid me all you want but it will never erase my love for you.”

And then it dawns on me. The power of an encouraging word. I want to to challenge you this week: take the sixty seconds necessary to call - no email or texting allowed - and, in a heartfelt manner, someone and tell them how much you love them. Let them hear your voice and its sincerity.

In fact, as Americans a decade after a day notorious for great evil, might it be a good time for us to proclaim, in a heartfelt manner, our love of country? What could we start TODAY that would demonstrate love and contribute to our nation’s recovery from what ails us - home, work and elsewhere? More support of our kids, spouses, significant others, aging parents, schools, businesses, communities and others? All of the above require, to varying degrees, our work, wealth and wisdom. I know, easier said than done but WE CAN DO IT!
Back in 1918, while serving in America’s armed forces, Irving Berlin wrote the famous song and lyrics, “God bless America, land that I love.....”. Ten years have passed. We remember the loss, heroism and significance.

Let’s never forget this country’s potential. It starts with, in a heartfelt manner, love and respect for one another and a willingness to embrace unity of spirit while accepting diversity of belief. When you think about it rarely does anything, of value, begin without a heartfelt manner. Let’s display it in abundance this week!

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement