Sunday, December 9, 2012

Pep Talk: "Even Better, Get Together"


Whenever blessed to have the opportunity to stand before a group and encourage others about the condition of life, one of the Pep Talk’s foundational aspects revolves around a basic, but damn tough truth to execute: For most of us, to get anywhere in life, eventually, we have to put fear aside and allow wonderment to win.

I know, simple, not easy.

It makes me think of my radio partner, Eric Goodman. A day usually does not expire on our sports talk show, The Odd Couple: Afternoon Drive with Mac and Goodman where he doesn’t, in a good-natured but sarcastic way, give me grief about being married and divorced, not once, but twice. For me, and I’ve been called lots of things in life, smart rarely one of them, the unions, the precious children created, the eventual disappointment of matrimony unmet, have become incredible blessings.

My kids, we’re gonna be together for the holidays! - have two devoted mothers who love them dearly. In addition, their father has emerged from the rejection rubble - unwanted divorce is tough on the self esteem - with a darling girlfriend of almost a decade. I can’t imagine life without the savvy, sexy and successful businesswoman who hails from Glenview, Illinois. She’s burrowed deep into my heart and will reside forever. The staffing industry superstar likes to joke about your correspondent, “He’s a goofball, but he’s my goofball.”

Amen to that. We make a good team. Anybody - thank you by the way - listening to The Odd Couple weekday afternoons, 3-6pm, on Mile High Sports Radio knows, it’s one of my favorite topics. Few things warm the marrow more than saluting over the airwaves a job well done when it comes to teamwork. The current Denver Broncos team is a prime example. There’s joy in watching, and experiencing, success through working together with others in the pursuit of a common goal - teamwork, it’s the key to success. 

But diving back into the relationship pool was messy, mostly because of fear. Rejection hurts, makes us wary to try again, often keeps us mired in mediocrity. I love Shakespeare’s thoughts about the subject. The English playwright and poet once muttered, “Our doubts are traitors that make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.” Amen to that too.

So here goes. I have a dream, a vision if you will, for the radio show. But, shame on me, have shared it, until now, with just a few. Darling girlfriend doesn’t approve. I’m also fearful Goodman will give me one of those “Are you crazy?” looks and, that, station management would probably follow suit. But I’m persistent and desire your opinion. 

I’d love to have, she’s in agreement, my mother, Patsy Perry, on the show once a week for 15 minutes. We’d call the segment, Chatty Patty. Along with Goodman, we’d talk sports and life with a 77-year-old woman who knows a lot about each. Mother and son talk frequently during the week while I’m driving to and fro appointments. Upon calling the smart and feisty mother of four and grandma of eight who lives near my sister in Kansas City, Kansas, she’ll bust my chops with, “Let me guess, you’re driving to a meeting?” She’s sharp and sarcastic, like Goodman. Good talk radio.

Anyway, I want to create a segment that’s fun and light-hearted, but also, a segment encouraging others to stop the incessant emails and texts and take the time to call others and connect. I envision, but I’m a hopeless dreamer, this segment would inspire participation and, eventually, we’d have callers and their parents, each Friday, joining in the fun of connecting around sports. I dunno, anybody else have a better idea?

I was sharing the vision with Steve Ballas, owner of Steve’s Snappin’ Dogs, www.stevessnappindogs.com, a wonderful slice of heaven at Colfax and Monroe on Denver’s near east side. He’s a client, friend and purveyor to fabulous food. Try the Atlanta Slaw Dog with a Steve’s Snappin Ale some Saturday afternoon, you will not be disappointed.

He loves the Chatty Patty concept and gave it a nice booster shot when suggesting, “Mac, you’re wanting folks to quit texting/emailing so much, right? You want to encourage others to slow down and take the time to call one another, right?” I nodded affirmatively while taking another swig of his tasty brew on a recent weekend day. The East Coast native then added this gem, “Even better, get together!”

Now that’s what I’m talking about. This week folks, despite the ease of firing off an email or text, take the time to reach out - particularly to those long overdue hearing from you. Let them feel the vibration of your voice. Even better, get together. Sit down eyeball to eyeball with someone, especially those where, perhaps, misunderstanding has fractured a once-solid relationship.

It will take courage. It will require us to put fear aside and allow wonderment to win. It will be worth the effort. Reach out and touch someone. Even better, get together. Need a venue? I know Steve’s Snappin’ Dogs would gladly host and, Steve’s promised, offer something free  - maybe a tasty brew - if you mention Chatty Patty.



No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement