Sunday, April 10, 2016

Pep Talk: "An Absolutely Awesome Example"


It’s doubtful I’m alone in this feeling, but here goes. Ever had a puzzling predicament that leaves you wondering, “Really?” Those moments in life where, despite best intentions, things are out of whack? I’m in the throes of one of those and, frankly, it sucks.

That’s why it’s darn beneficial to spend time each week with other knuckleheads who challenge me to get over it. Ya know, that ol’ “Iron sharpens iron” kinda deal? Having another’s perspective often, if not always, helps.

As we got things rolling this particular time, I was lamenting about a self-inflicted wound concerning betraying a trust, harming a loved one’s feelings, asking for forgiveness and praying for it to happen. In the middle of the selfish rambling, reality slapped me in the face upon remembering the one with an attentive ear has a few things going on, too. Major. Life threatening. 

Right after offering me sage advice, this wise man shared with the entire group a story of one of his loved ones’ health scare. The relative’s prognosis is good long-term but requires short-term surgery, pain and recovery. I sit there knowing he’s fighting for life, enduring a barrage of neck radiation to preserve it and eradicate cancer. “My throat is killing me,” says the father of six. He’s a quarter of the way through this treatment ordeal and understands the road ahead is rough. Somehow, the man’s spirit remains unshakeable. 

I dunno, maybe it’s just me but that’s darn admirable.

Personally, it’s disheartening to know there’s a chasm between me and someone dearly loved. I would imagine others might have something going on right now physically, emotionally or spiritually that has you a bit bewildered. How do we maintain perspective and not fall into the self-pity pit of despair?

If in possession of such knowledge, I’d be playing more golf and giving younger brother a little more competition. This much I know. There are folks who have it figured out. Somehow, someway in the throes of this bumpy roller coaster we call life, amazing individuals like Doug Wittenberg show us the way. I know he would say it’s faith that powers such resolve. He exudes it. For others, maybe it’s something different. Who cares what you call it? It’s about possessing a certain spirit and sharing its infectious strain, right?

Please say yes.

When, or if, things go awry this week and the temptation to fret rears its ugly head, take a page from a gravely-voiced devoted husband I’m blessed to hang with every Friday. Dig deep and find the resolve to not allow circumstances to dampen our spirit. I know,  easier said than done.

It seems a faith-based marriage mentor has never been more alive despite the very real threat of death. “It’s hard to argue with a letter,” was his advice pertaining to my struggle. “Write one.”

A courageous counselor enthusiastically serving others while suffering greatly. An absolutely awesome example of how to live.


No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement