Monday, July 6, 2009

"A New Frontier"

It was a late Friday afternoon. I’m watching the rain-plagued 2009 U.S. Open golf tournament from Long Island, New York. Heading into a break, the producer calls for a shot of the nearby New York City skyline.

It makes me think of my son. He just wrapped up a successful first year at New York University. I think he’s a pretty cool dude. 19 years old, studying film and determined to become the next great producer or director. How many 19 years know exactly what they want? Did you?

I certainly didn’t. However, at 17 I did. I dreamed of becoming a professional athlete. But then a poke to the eye, a crash to the floor and a resulting severe head injury ended those dreams. At 19, I was bumbling through college wondering, “Who am I?”

It’s a question I face today, “Who am I?” The good news, I believe with all my heart and soul, I know the answer. It’s time for the Comeback Coach to “saddle up the horses, he’s got a trail to blaze.”

Whenever presenting Run to Daylight, much time is spent sharing how there are moments in life, when opportunity comes a knockin’, and we must put fear and self doubt aside, and go for it – run to daylight. That’s where I’m at right now.

I am no longer the co-host of Colorado and Company. I will continue to present Pep Talks each Monday and occasionally appear as host. But teaming with my beloved partner in crime Denise Plante is over. It’s not easy walking away from something I cherish dearly. But just like in Texas Hold Em poker, it’s time for yours truly to be “all in” in helping others effectively deal with change, challenge and adversity in transforming life’s lemons into margaritas.

Where might it be time in your life to do the same? To be “all in” in saddling up your horse because you gotta new trail to blaze? It can be scary, you bet. But don’t let fear get in the way of your dreams, instead remember courage is the soul of your dreams.

Try to remember this: “Be wary of longing for someone you once were when life is calling your to somebody you’ve never been.” Is life calling you - like it’s calling me - to a new frontier? If so, join me in making a commitment to being like turtles. Yea, like turtles, which don’t make any progress until they stick their necks out!

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement