Saturday, January 8, 2011

This week's Pep Talk: "A Prevailing Breeze"

It’s the day of Christmas Eve 2010 and like Santa, I have just emerged from an afternoon nap, my good buddy’s down having a beer before his darling wife, Kerry, and this knucklehead from Pueblo, Colorado, host Kerry’s Christmas gathering for her side of the family.

It was actually a Friday, but felt like a Saturday, which is usually when the business consultant and I have a beer, watch some sports, catch up and exchange ideas. It’s a moment I cherish each week. Connecting with my buddy. It’s a good thing, connecting with others. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, we’re talking about a conversation I had earlier in the day. The conversation, with my older sister, revolved around a family challenge we share with many: aging parents. Fiercely independent in spirit, but let’s be honest, in need of close monitoring

As I’m driving on a beautiful Colorado morning, after just retrieving my computer from its caretaker, Sister Sue says, “Would you be willing to come back home (Kansas City) and help with this?” For the record, the beautiful singer and long-time boyfriend Eldon, offered frequent flier miles as a promotion I accepted without hesitation.

But it wasn’t until later in the day, when relaxing with my buddy, that the enormity of the opportunity became crystal clear. Do you remember the 1989 Academy Award winning film, Driving Miss Daisy? Well, I want to go back to my hometown of Kansas City and drive my aging mother around the city and help her. It’s been tough being 600 miles away in the Mile High City, incredibly busy and feeling something tugging at you, saying, “You need to help.”

Man, for me, when feeling what Emerson called the “vibration of the iron string within” and then choosing to ignore? I just don’t know how smart an idea that is. But, hey, I’m just a simple dude from Missouri. I’ve been called a lot of things in life. Smart has rarely been one of them.

An eternal force, I can choose to ignore, is calling me to take some weekends, fly back to Kansas City and drive someone, who supported all my childhood dreams, to appointed rounds. Where can I sign up for a gig like that? My mother. As she would say, “they threw away the mold” when she entered this world June 28, 1935. Patsy Sue Perry at birth and Pat McIntosh when I was born and raised is a piece of work. “Born the same day as John Elway” is what she’ll frequently remind me during our weekend calls.

Since my parents divorce, during my high school years, the smart and feisty woman has gone by Patsy Perry, her maiden name. I’m going back to my hometown and driving Miss Patsy. I have no idea if it might encourage progress in resolving our family challenges, but shame on me for not trying.

Whenever blessed to have somebody who will listen, I have always talked about “putting fear aside and allowing wonderment to win.” Can I ask a favor? Wish me luck on this adventure, will ya? Mac’s heading home to walk his talk and knows having, as a prevailing breeze, your encouragement – hope and confidence – will help.

A prevailing breeze, encouragement from others, is rarely a bad thing, costs little and sure means a lot for the recipients. Try it this week. I promise, you’ll like it.

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement