Saturday, February 12, 2011

This week's Pep Talk: "The Power of Love"

It was a Friday night culminating a busy and productive week and Billy Joel is keeping me company. I had just finished having beers with neighbor buddy Lou while watching first-half action of an entertaining game between the visiting Utah Jazz and hometown Denver Nuggets.

I descend into my basement office, thoughts churning, and decided to share this Pep Talk, trapped in my brain, to a team I know, from our conversations - home, work and elsewhere - cares about this stuff

Somehow the chat with the Centennial State native, which ran the gamut, ended up with a discussion about parenting. In particular, parenting from different homes. I have experience in this area considering my two marriages have, each time, provided residence in this challenging arena.

My good buddy and I have many things we enthusiastically debate. But, the importance of parenting is not one. We’re in unequivocal support of, “Hey, we brought them into this world. It’s our responsibility to show them a path to success in ways that honor, nurture and add value to their lives.

They didn’t ask to be brought into this world. We brought them here and it’s our responsibility to mentor the children. Come on folks, it’s not that complicated. A simple truth but, as we all know, far easier said than done.

When it comes to parenting, after the heartbreak of divorce, one of the four most powerful things I have learned, and tried like heck to embrace, is the wisdom of forgiveness. We need more of what’s defined as “to cease to feel angry or bitter toward” in America today. We need parenting partnerships that, despite the challenges associated with divorce, remain committed to a healthy and productive partnership with our collaborator in creating life.

The Piano Man was singing, You’re My Home in the background as I realized what inspired me to plop down, enjoy one more beer and fire this off to teammates on this unit trying to play like champions – home, work and elsewhere:

We talk to the kids constantly about the wisdom of getting along with others wherever they roam. Let’s vow this week to walk our talk. Get along. It will show our kids the truth of that belief. While it offers no guarantee for success it just might work in sending a powerful message to our kids, “We are forever, despite the crap life throws our way, united in our love for you.”

The power of love benefits all. I know it’s real easy for me to suggest and far more difficult to execute. Try.

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement