Sunday, February 27, 2011

This week's Pep Talk: "Healthy and Productive Engagement"

It was one of those days to remember for its joy. Sunday morning of President’s Day weekend 2011. After restful sleep, up early for an hour’s drive northward to Greeley, Colorado to watch daughter and teammates on the improving Juggernaut 14-2 volleyball squad play in an important three-day holiday tournament.

The drive went smooth; daughter’s team won all three of its matches; drive home equally smooth; as was car wash owner showing real class in making sure I’m a repeat customer; and finally, a beer with my neighbor buddy while watching an exciting hockey game between visiting Pittsburgh and Chicago. It had been a great day, and it got even better.

My buddy and I talk about many subjects, family one of them. It gets around to my mom. I tell the Pueblo native, “Hey, I talked with my mom yesterday and she had to hang up, because she had something to do.” I went on to say Patsy Sue Perry – my firecracker of a mom - had later sent an email stating the visit with my sister – her daughter- Sister Sue’s boyfriend Eldon and a long-time neighbor from long ago had been “much fun.”

I’m just a simple dude from Missouri, but, I think “much fun” is a good place to hang, ain’t it? It makes me think of the power of engaging with others. It is so wonderful – my opinion - to connect with others of like-mind and spirit! Damn, life’s tough enough, I sure want the folks that I choose to hang with to be easy to get along with, fun and, as former CU football coach Bill McCartney would say, “fox-hole kinda guys.” In other words, when it’s time to charge the hill nobody’s worrying about 100% participation because we’re one heart beat.

But that’s where it gets tricky. There are times we’re certain it’s one heartbeat and everything but materializes. Yeah, we’ve been kicked around a bit. But if we want to truly turn life’s lemons into - heck with lemonade – sweet and savory margaritas we have to promise ourselves, and seek encouragement from others – to be smart about it.

Let’s vow to do our best in engaging with others, whenever possible, do so in ways – for each participant – that honor, nurture and add value to the communities we serve. My mom’s optimistic email reminded me of this great life lesson.

What a day. Part of it spent with you writing this Pep Talk. Thanks and please, tell me what you think, okay? Teamwork, it’s the key to success, right? It starts with healthy and productive engagement with one another – like you and me. It’s a truth of life at home, work and elsewhere.

Always has been, always will be.

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement