Saturday, March 5, 2011

This week's Pep Talk: "Irv, Thanks Buddy"

‘Twas a Saturday in late February, one of those spectacular Centennial State days that make you pause, mutter “wow”, and give thanks for living in Colorado. I’m reflecting on a chat, earlier in the day, with a friend. The conversation covered many topics but, at this time, was dialed in to the radio show I co-host weekdays, along with Jimmy Doogan, from 3-6PM on Mile High Sports Radio, AM1510 and FM93.7.

Our show is called, “Drive Time with Mac and Doog: Ain’t about us, it’s about YOU!” We really try and walk that talk in providing a forum where our listeners know their opinion is truly valued and respected. It’s like we’re a bunch of folks sitting around the bar, having a beer and, in a fun and competitive way, talking sports, and other stuff pertinent to playing like champions – sorry couldn’t resist the temptation.

Anyway, back to the story. I’m telling my friend how much fun its been to connect with Irv Brown and Joe Williams. The “Irv and Joe” show is on right before us, from 1-3. They are legendary Denver sports talk radio hosts and even better guys.

I knew Irv long before I met him. Back in the day when I’m was dreaming of big things in athletics, the Colorado native was considered one of the nation’s top basketball officials. Irv was always referring the big games. And as a young kid who wanted to play in those “big games” some day, I watched ‘em all. Irv was there. I saw him on television. He was respected by all and officiated seven national championship games, more than any referee ever.

After moving to Colorado in 1988, I’ve gotten to know Irv in different roles: husband, father and community leader at the top of the list. The father of three is one of those “fox-hole” kinda folks you like to hang with.

Irv played, through referring those big games, a part in forging my dreams. I will forever be grateful. And now today, his show with Joe - 30 years strong – airs live right before Doog and I take over at three. We see each other all the time while they’re departing and we’re entering the studio.

And then it hits me. This reflection on the condition we call life takes me to Irv Brown and, perhaps more important, to saying “thank you” to someone who helped shaped me. It takes me to being grateful, defined as: “feeling or showing that we value a kindness or benefit received.”

I’ve have certainly benefited from knowing Irv. Thanks buddy. Got somebody like that in your life? Reach out to them this week, okay? I promise, it will make you feel good.

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement