Monday, May 11, 2009

"Catch the Wind"

Do you ever find yourself at that spot in life where you have a theme song? A song you listen to over and over again? It’s a tune that stirs something within invoking joy, sadness or inspiration? Ever been there?

Earlier this year, I had one of those moments surrounding the song “Catch the Wind.” I would listen to it constantly while in the car, still do. Sung by Irish legend Donovan, the 1965 ballad describes the desire to “catch the wind” in pursuit of dreams and goals.

The song makes me think of my late father who passed away two years ago this week. I kept finding myself wishing I could “catch the wind” and go find him, wherever he is, and play some golf with him.

I loved playing golf with my old man. One of the luckiest hackers in history, the father of four, on the golf course, was always turning a lemon of a hole into a margarita. To say he was a good scrambler is an understatement. I miss losing money to him.

As the Comeback Coach it’s my passion to encourage others to effectively deal with change, challenge and adversity; to challenge others, despite obstacles present, to run to daylight and play like a champion in the game of life.

Since my father’s death, I’ve realized what an influential mentor he was in me acquiring those beliefs: he had plenty of adversity throughout life but somehow was always able to rise above – and build upon - the challenges before cancer ended his journey May 12, 2007.

When the Comeback Coach encourages others to, in their thoughts, words and action focus ONLY on things that honor you, nurture those dependent upon you and add value to the communities you serve, it has dawned on me where I got that rallying cry: my father lived it right before my eyes.

I have been blessed with many wonderful mentors, none greater than my father. And you know what? Each of us has that mentoring capability within ourselves. Yes we do. It might be your children, grandchildren, friend, co-worker, a child you’re mentoring, it doesn’t matter. What matters is how we live our lives. Trust me, others are watching and will be influenced by your thoughts, words and actions.

Live honorably. Who knows, it might inspire someone to “Catch the Wind” and chase healthy and productive dreams and goals. Thanks Dad, you’re gone but your life, and how you lived it, continues to inspire me.

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement