Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"The Terrific Trio"

I really enjoy Saturday afternoons for a nap, catching up with my neighbor and writing Pep Talks. Anyway, in the “watch some sports and have a beer with my buddy” portion of the day, conversation sparked by an early-season Rockies and Dodgers game at sunny Chavez Ravine from Spring-storm-buried Denver, jumps to football. It jumps to something I witnessed long ago during my sportscasting days.

I was in Lake Tahoe, Nevada covering the annual celebrity golf tournament held beside that incredible body of water. I was there that year, the mid’ 90’s, because local stars like Broncos quarterback John Elway, head coach Mike Shanahan and then University of Colorado head football coach Rick Neuheisel were playing, and trust me, knowing the trio pretty well, competing.

But this Pep Talk’s not about Elway, Shanahan and Neuheisel. It’s about Jerry Rice.

What I’ll never forget from the weekend was a Saturday evening. I had finished writing a piece that would air on KCNC-TV’s late evening newscast. So, I’m killing time while my photojournalist partner put the final editing touches on the story. I’m on the deck of a beautiful resort hotel, gazing at the natural beauty around me and listening to the fun inside. Suddenly my attention diverts to the golf practice range. In the fading light there’s a solo figure out there pounding golf balls. It was Jerry Rice and I witnessed the future Hall of Fame wide receiver hit at least 200 shots – while all his buddies were inside having a good time.

He was just learning the game and is, as the Comeback Coach loves to talk about, “determined to become superior to his former self” in the game of golf. Perhaps the greatest receiver in NFL history, Rice is someone who I believe has three traits that power his success, on and off the field: He believes in his talent, works well with others and has refused to allow fear and self doubt hijack his dreams of running to daylight and playing like a champion in whatever endeavor he chooses.

We obviously don’t, or didn’t, have Jerry Rice’s physical talents, but we can match his mental approach. What has made him a great success in life – faith, unity and sacrifice - is available for us too.

It’s Memorial Day weekend. Faith, unity and sacrifice certainly would describe, and honor, the men and women who have done just that for our freedoms. Living a life based upon that terrific trio of traits ain’t easy. It might cost you a little but gosh, I sure like your chances of it meaning a lot in living the life you imagine, everywhere. Just ask Jerry Rice.
 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement