Wednesday, June 1, 2011

This week's Pep Talk: "Exalt A Man"

Billy Joel is on the piano, and Ipod, as I settle in for this Pep Talk about the journey we call life. Ironically, the idea, exalt a man, crashes into my cranium on Mother’s Day. But that seems to make sense considering who appeared.

My thoughts are interrupted. 21-year-old son, aspiring television producer, informs: “Dad, hey, gonna have to bag the food idea. I’ll eat at the airport.” We agree that’s cool and then off the strapping young man went, back to work reading scripts. He had been in Denver for a quick and fun visit that included darling girlfriend’s special birthday bash and time with neighbors who are like family. Good stuff.

He seemed happy as he bounded back up the stairs. For that I am grateful. Life ain’t always that way – happy - and to reside on that side of the tracks ain’t bad. I’m just a simple dude from Missouri but it sure makes sense to me. I think most people would choose happy, right? Well, my son looked happy as he went back to his business and me to mine – you and Billy. By the way, She’s Got A Way just finished. My son. I love him dearly and dang, as a parent, can you ask for anything more in life than realizing, in healthy and productive ways, your kids are happy? Wow, sign me up for a lifetime membership.

Timothy Barton deserves a lot of credit for the young man my son is becoming. My brother from another mother is my first former wife’s third husband. For those scoring at home, I am the leadoff hitter. When Kyle headed west from Denver to California, my “love at first sight” buddy stepped up big time. I felt like I had a brother taking a lead role in teaching my son to be a man. He’s one of those “fox-hole” kinda guys mentor Bill McCartney and I love to talk about each week – rock solid in all areas.

All kidding aside, my son now lives on his own while chasing dreams in Los Angeles, but Timothy and I stay in touch. He was the man on the ground during my son’s successful journey through middle and high school. We talked a lot back in those days. I love him like a brother.

It’s time to shut this down. Billy is really getting after it in The Ballad of Billy the Kid and tears are strolling down my cheek. On, Mother’s Day 2011, my cranium wanders to a Malibu motor-head, bull-in-china-closet basketball dude, Timothy. Man, when the mother of my son – okay, here’s the Mother’s Day connection – ends up married to a dude who is a fox-hole kinda guy? – yeah me.

So really this becomes, thanks Jean, for finding Timothy. My son is better because of him. I am too. I have just exalted a man. Try it this week. Home, work or elsewhere, exalt someone deserved of praise. I know it will encourage them and, trust me, make your marrow warm too.

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement