Sunday, June 26, 2011

This week's Pep Talk: "Perseverance, Forgiving and Living"

Like many of you, I enjoy traveling. It’s a lot of fun visiting loved ones, exploring new places and, at least for me, slowing down enough to read. I love to read while traveling. Recently travel took me to Chicago, for another celebration of darling girlfriend’s 50th birthday - it’s a year-long deal folks. Several of Kathy’s girlfriend’s also made the journey to the Windy City, her hometown. One of her “sisters from another mother” and your correspondent - the designated porter - were browsing for books at Denver International Airport before departure. “Mac, you should read this one” offered the beautiful wife and mother. Boy, was she right.

The Texas native suggested I read Unbroken. It’s about a guy, Louis Zamperini, written incredibly well by Laura Hillebrand. I will not spoil the story for you but trust me, it’s a riveting tail of perseverance, forgiving and living.

Devoted readers of these weekly musings know I like to write and speak often about the importance, despite life’s unexpected twists and turns, of trying to turn life’s lemons - heck with lemonade - into sweet and savory margaritas. Life rarely goes as planned, right? We’re stuck in situations that leave us wondering, “What the heck is going on around here? Why me?”

Zamperini, a California native now 94-years-old, could certainly have asked that question many times during a harrowing adventure in the Pacific theatre during World War II. Pick up the book, you won’t regret it. The former Olympic track athlete survived his ordeal, persevered, and then ultimately, was able to forgive his tormentors and truly begin living, again. Reports of Zamperini’s death, like Mark Twain’s, were greatly exaggerated.

I think quite often in life when we’re in challenging times - job loss, illness, relationship breakdown or others - we become despondent, right? We also want to blame others and seek revenge against our tormentors, real or perceived. I have not spoken directly to Zamperini about this - I do hope to interview him soon - but I would suspect his advice, in terms of seeking revenge or holding a grudge would be, “Don’t go there.”

Colossians 3:13 states: “Be gentle and forgiving, never hold a grudge, remember the Lord forgave us, we must forgive others.” From the time 30 years ago when boredom and a desire for direction led me to read those wise words, that passage has always stuck with me as valuable. Forgiveness. It ultimately set Zamperini free, it has done the same for me through injuries, divorces and job losses and might work for you too.

Thanks Kelly. While writing, in the early morning, on Poor Man’s Porch, I recalled her recommendation, “Mac, buy this book” leading me to Unbroken and Louie Zamperini’s life story. It’s a powerful example to - whatever may ail us right now - persevere, forgive and live. A current best-selling book, history’s best seller and this Pep Talk are reminders of that truth. Good luck this week living it.

No comments:

 
facebook metwitter
linkd in

Hey Comeback Coach Copyright© 2009

About The Comeback Coach | Contact Us | Links | Privacy Statement